Many companies are conducting drugs tests to ascertain if their employees are working under the influence of illegal substances. If you’re an avid Kratom user, you might wonder if it will appear in these drug tests. However, unless it is a specific kratom drug test, there is no need to panic.
Most drug tests use standard testing equipment to test for narcotics and other illegal substances, such as cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine. However, there are specific drug tests that can detect the alkaloids found in kratom. If you’re undergoing urine or blood tests, the chances are high that Kratom would appear.
In this article, we’re going to discuss whether Kratom would show up on various types of drug tests.
Kratom and Drug Tests
Many people prefer to use kratom as opposed to other illicit substances because of the belief that it is not detectable in drug tests. For example, the SAMHA-5, which is the standard drug test, cannot detect kratom in your body.
However, if the primary purpose is to test kratom, a specific kratom drug test, such as the kratom 10-panel, can be used. Other tests, such as the blood and urine tests, can also detect some kratom alkaloids.
Kratom Blood Tests
A blood test can be used to determine if you have used kratom, and the amount you’ve used. When you consume kratom, some of it remains in the blood, and a blood test can even measure the concentration levels.
If you’re a heavy kratom user, there are also high chances that your blood will contain metabolites, which can easily be detected in a blood test. However, the test only detects drugs used within a short period of time, so you must have used kratom a few hours before the test for it to be detectable.
Kratom Urine Tests
A urine test is one of the most reliable methods of testing for kratom usage. It detects the alkaloids from the kratom you have consumed. As opposed to the blood test which can only detect the kratom consumed a few hours before the test, a urine test can detect kratom consumed in over a week. Therefore, if you are a kratom user, and your employer subjects you to a urine test, you should be prepared for kratom to show up.
Kratom Hair Tests
A hair test is often done to determine if a person has used illegal substances. Just like the urine test, a hair test has a long detection window. However, there is no evidence that testing hair follicles can be used to determine if a person has taken kratom.
Keep in mind, kratom is mainly manifested in the form of metabolites, and it is highly unlikely the metabolites would show up in the hair follicles. All in all, additional research needs to be conducted in this area, but at the present moment, it’s safe to say that a hair test cannot be used to detect kratom in your body.
Kratom Saliva Tests
Kratom metabolites are detectable in a saliva test. In the U.S., testing of oral fluids is mainly done to test for illegal substances, such as cocaine and heroin, because these elements tend to remain in the oral fluids upon usage. However, kratom is not an illegal substance, and so it is highly unlikely that you would be subjected to a saliva test for this herb.
How Long Does Kratom Stay in Your System?
$11.95 – $39.95
Most kratom users often wonder how long kratom remains in their bodies. Upon usage, the effects of kratom start to manifest in your body after about 15 minutes. If you have taken high amounts of kratom, you can feel the effects for up to five hours.
However, the substance remains in your system for longer periods. Mitragynine, which is the primary alkaloid found in kratom, is known to have a half-life of approximately 24 hours. Therefore, it will take your body a whole day to eliminate half of the kratom you have consumed.
Depending on various factors, the total elimination of kratom from your body can be four to nine days. Once it is fully eliminated from your body, no drug test can detect that you have been using it. The factors that determine how long it takes before kratom is fully eliminated from your body include;
- Age: Kratom will stay in the bodies of elderly people for longer periods compared to young people.
- Body Fat: Mitragynine is highly soluble in fats. This means that if your body has lots of fat, kratom alkaloids will remain in your body for longer periods. If your body has less fat, the alkaloids will be excreted from your body in a shorter time.
- Genetics: Some individuals are born with genetic markers and strong enzymes that enable them to excrete substances from their bodies faster than others.
- Water and Food Consumption: If you use kratom after you have consumed food and drank lots of water, there are higher chances that your body will excrete it faster compared to the person who takes kratom on an empty stomach.
How to Flush Kratom Out of Your System Faster
There are many methods to get rid of kratom from your body faster. Some of these methods include:
- Hydrate: Drinking lots of water improves your digestive system so you can excrete substances from your body faster. It also improves your urine output, enabling you to release a high number of metabolites from your system.
- Consume Acidic Foods: Eating foods that are high in acidity helps to reduce your blood’s PH. Your blood becomes more acidic, which is essential in breaking down Mitragynine, and removing it from the system.
- Lose Some Fat: As previously mentioned, Mitragynine is highly soluble in fat. Losing this fat means it will be easier for your body to get rid of kratom alkaloids.
- Reduce Caffeine Intake in Your Diet: Caffeine increases water retention in your body. This means that irrespective of the amount of water you take, your urine output remains low. But, if you reduce caffeine intake, your urine output increases with water intake.
The Bottom Line
If your employer subjects you to a drug test every now and then, there is no need to worry about kratom. But, if you feel nervous, you can pause your kratom consumption for about a week earlier before the test, and it will not be detected.
Alternatively, you can talk to your employer to let them know what benefits kratom brings to your life. Kratom is a legally accepted substance whose benefits far outweigh its drawbacks.