Straight to The Point
Kratom leaves retain their potency better than powder. However, in order to reap its potency you have to grind them into a powder using a coffee grinder.
They can be used to make tinctures or tea in either leaf or powder form.
I suggest kratom leaves for those who store kratom for extended periods of time or want to reap maximum potency.
Kratom leaf was taken to relieve pain and treat certain conditions in Southeast Asia for Ages. Today, more people are turning to Kratom as an alternative treatment for various conditions.
Kratom leaf is a psychotropic leaf derived from the tropical tree Mitragyna Speciosa. It is commonly used in the treatment and management of certain conditions.
Thanks to its effects on the body, it is also used for recreational purposes. Kratom is not illegal in most of the US and many parts of the world, hence its wide consumption.
Those who have been using kratom for a long time know that it comes in different types and categories. Keep on reading this piece to learn more about the types, consumption, and uses of kratom among others.
Take the next step by learning How to Make Kratom Tea.
Want to learn more regarding the proper use of kratom? Checkout these posts!
- 3 Crucial Rules For Storing Kratom
- How Long to Wait Between Kratom Doses
- Green Maeng Da: The King of Green Strains
What is a Kratom Leaf?
Kratom leaf is a tree native to Southeast Asia whose extracts cause psychotropic effects. In other words, the leaf has mind-altering properties.
Kratom is classified into three main categories; white leaf, red leaf, and green leaf.
Each type of kratom has its effects, strengths, and side effects. For instance, red leaf kratom is a strong sedative that is popular among those who wish to find relaxation while the white leaf is a strong energy booster.
The experience a person has when using kratom may vary widely from different users due to such categories.
Read More: “Best Kratom Strains For Anxiety”
What is Kratom Leaf Used For?
The uses of kratom are many and endless. The most common uses are to relieve pain, control depression, manage insomnia, and treating opioid addiction.
There are many online stores that stock different types of kratom which are marketed to offer diverse health benefits.
The traditional known uses for kratom have evolved. Today, studies have been conducted by credible institutions to shed more light on the uses and health benefits of kratom.
Currently, studies have found the herb to have some medicinal properties, but there are no conclusive recommendations for kratom to be used medically.
Health Benefits of Kratom
The main health benefit of kratom is pain relief based on the accounts of those who have used it and some studies. Even so, recent studies have linked the southeast Asia herb to many other benefits.
Some of the benefits are yet to be proven by accredited health bodies.
Potential health benefits include:
Libido Enhancement: Anecdotal studies have shown that consuming kratom leaf may offer users some health benefits, including boosting libido. It is a long-known fact that some strains of kratom may be helpful in boosting the overall body energy.
A good example is the white leaf kratom, which leads to a burst of energy when consumed. Such strains have been found quite helpful among people suffering from low libido.
Pain Relief: The most important health benefit of kratom is pain relief. One of the compounds found in kratom is 7-hydroxymitragynine, which is 13 times more powerful than morphine. As a result, the herb is commonly used in the management of pain.
Those suffering from chronic pain conditions find kratom helpful since it is a strong painkiller. The beauty of it all is that the herb does not have to be taken as medication. It can be used as a supplementary part of the daily diet, to help reduce pain for individuals suffering from chronic conditions.
Anxiety and Panic Attacks Treatment: Different types of kratom have different strengths. The red leaf kratom is the best option for those seeking to enjoy kratom’s sedative properties. As a sedative, the herb is commonly used by those suffering from stress and panic attacks to calm their bodies.
Insomnia: In the same way kratom is used to calm the body among anxiety patients, it may also be used to calm the body for those suffering from insomnia. Studies have indicated that one of the major causes of insomnia is anxiety. People suffering from anxiety and panic attacks are likely to lack sleep.
Thanks to the relaxing nature of some kratom strains, patients who use them tend to experience calm sleep without a problem. It is important to remember that some types of kratom may cause the loss of sleep entirely. For instance, white and green kratom strains cause a burst of energy that may disrupt sleeping patterns.
Opioid Addiction Recovery: People who use opioid drugs are likely to get addicted. An opioid is a substance found in most prescription drugs and some outlawed drugs like heroin. Most users of opioid drugs get addicted, hence the urge to use the drugs even when they are not necessary.
Kratom may be helpful in treating opioid addiction thanks to its compounds. Kratom is rich in mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, two substances that interact with the body in the same way as opioid drugs but they do not have the addictive nature of opioid drugs. As a result, kratom may be used to help addicts recover.
Management of Diabetes: The other emerging use of kratom is in the management of diabetes. Anecdotal evidence indicates that people suffering from diabetes may find some relief by using kratom. Studies have also indicated that the herb has an influence on insulin levels and overall blood sugar balance.
Green Leaf Kratom
The green leaf kratom is a pure breed of kratom that balances the effects of white leaf and red leaf kratom. Originating from Southeast Asia, this type of kratom takes longer to mature than white kratom but not longer than the red one.
The green leaf contains a special blend of alkaloids which provide a pleasing euphoric state to users. Although it also leads to a gentle boost of energy, it is not as strong as white kratom in terms of energy boosts.
Red Leaf Kratom
Due to its sedative effects, red vein kratom is used in the treatment and management of various conditions.
Conditions commonly treated with red leaf kratom:
- Sleep disorders such as insomnia are commonly managed by consuming red leaf kratom. Its sedative properties promote a calming mood that can lead to quick sleep even among those who suffer from anxiety.
- This strain is also used in the treatment and management of depression and anxiety. Those who suffer from panic attacks find this strain quite helpful.
Besides its sedative properties, this type of kratom also offers a slight euphoric experience. As a result, it is commonly used by those looking to feel good. Although its high effect is not very strong, it can be quite significant in some users.
White Leaf Kratom
The white leaf kratom is probably one of the strongest strains of kratom. When consumed, the users experience a burst of energy.
Thanks to its properties of energy-boosting, this strain is popularly used by the working class and students. It provides the energy needed to run through the day.
Besides its energy boost, white kratom is also a mild stimulant. It may be used to stimulate sexual desires and boost the overall libido.
Those suffering from erectile dysfunction or low libido tend to use the herb, even though no scientific studies are backing its use for such.
Read More: Trainwreck Kratom: Complete Guide 2022
Kratom Leaf Side Effects
Kratom leaf is well tolerated by most people. A few people report experiencing any side effects after using the herb. Even so, side effects are possible and have been documented. Kratom side effects can be classified into mild and severe.
Mild side effects are usually experienced by individuals whose systems react negatively even to small amounts of kratom. On the other hand, severe side effects are commonly experienced by individuals who are new to kratom, those who overdose, or those who are using other medication that does not work well with kratom.
A 2016 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that most people who experience side effects due to using kratom only exhibit mild effects.
Those who experience mild side effects often get better after some time. In the case of severe side effects, some form of treatment may be necessary.
The common mild effects of kratom are as follows:
- Dry mouth: Commonly experienced by individuals. Some people experience dry lips while others may experience cracked lips. I’ve found this to be perfectly normal and have never had any other issues arise from having a dry mouth. Just make sure to drink plenty of water as kratom is known to dehydrate the body.
- Itching: Although not a common side effect, some kratom users have complained of itchiness all over the body after using the herb. This mostly happens to individuals who experience allergic reactions.
- Frequent urination: One of the most common side effects of kratom is constant urination. People who take kratom commonly have to visit the washroom several times a day.
- Headache: Mild headaches are reported by some kratom users. This side effect does not occur in all people but is likely to occur especially among first-time kratom users. The headache goes away after some time on its own and is usually caused by users who consume a level of kratom that exceeds their tolerance. Like most compounds, the more you use kratom the more your tolerance will increase.
- Constipation: Although not a common side effect, some people experience stomach problems such as constipation after using kratom. To avoid this effect, first-time users should take small doses of the herbs and drink lots of water.
- Drowsiness: One of the benefits of kratom is that it may be used to boost sleep and get rid of insomnia. This is particularly true when using the red leaf kratom. The downside of the same is that it can cause drowsiness among people who do not have sleep problems.
- Dizziness: Some people have complained about feeling dizzy after using kratom. Sedative strains of kratom are more likely to lead to dizziness, which is usually caused by taking larger quantities. This can be worse in people who suffer from heart conditions.
- Nausea: Some studies have linked kratom to nausea and other stomach problems. Although not a common side effect, first-time users may experience nausea after using kratom leaf.
- Vomiting: While some people only experience nausea, some may get to the extent of vomiting. This is a rare situation and may only occur in case of overdose or to first-time users. If a person feels nausea, it is advisable to take a rest to avoid going to the extent of vomiting.
- Mood changes: Mood changes are not necessarily a side effect but one of the positive effects of kratom. In a situation where kratom is taken for other purposes apart from mood-lifting, a user may experience a rollercoaster of unique moods
Severe side effects may include:
- Heart Palpitations: People suffering from chronic heart conditions are advised to stay away from kratom unless it is necessary. The main reason being that some individuals may react negatively to the heart and experience heart palpitations.
- High Blood Pressure: Blood pressure imbalances may occur when kratom is used in excessive amounts. Some studies indicate that kratom may affect insulin levels and blood sugar levels. It may also affect the rate of blood flow. All these factors may lead to blood pressure imbalances.
- Insomnia: Normally, kratom is used in the treatment and management of insomnia. People who suffer from insomnia may use some strains of kratom to calm the condition. But in some situations, insomnia may occur as a result of using some forms of kratom.
- Loss of Appetite: Not a common side effect but it does occur. Some people have reported a severe lack of appetite after using kratom for hours or even days.
- Loss of Libido: Not common but has been reported. Normally, kratom would be used in boosting libido. But due to the differences in strains of kratom, some strains may lead to a drop in libido rather than a boost.
- Memory Problems: Users of kratom may experience a bit of energy that leads to increased productivity at work and school, especially those using white strain. At the same time, some people may react negatively and suffer from memory losses.
- Kidney Problems: Some studies have suggested that people who use kratom are likely to suffer from liver and kidney problems. Research is still underway to ascertain the facts behind such claims.
- Psychosis: Kratom, like most drugs, affects the normal functioning of the body, including the brain. It is no surprise that some people may experience euphoria after using kratom. Even so, kratom is not a strong psychoactive compound as cannabis.
The side effects of kratom are many but they are also rare. With kratom, different people have different experiences. As mentioned, studies show that side-effects commonly experienced are mild and moderate. Nonetheless, first-time kratom users should be cautious about messages and other aspects.
Kratom Leaf vs Powder
When it comes to the consumption of kratom, users have the option of either using the leaves or the powder. There are also other methods of consuming kratom as we will see later.
The most common question about consuming kratom is whether the leaf is better than the powder.
The difference between kratom leaf and kratom powder lies in the processing. When using the leaf, the user has the duty of processing it, i.e using it to prepare tea or just chewing the leaves raw.
The user may also decide to combine the leaves in salads and other dishes.
On the other hand, kratom powder is purchased in processed form. The leaves are dried and industrially extracted to arrive at the powder.
The powder can be taken directly or can be mixed with tea. The option used depends on whether the user prefers a processed product or a raw product.
In other words, they are one in the same. It all comes down to how you like to prepare your kratom serving.
How to Consume Kratom Leaves the RIGHT Way
Traditionally South Asians used to take kratom by chewing fresh leaves from the tree. They would remove the veins when chewing fresh leaves to avoid the bitter taste.
Today, there are more advanced ways of consuming kratom. Kratom comes in different forms for easy consumption and can be bought from online stores in these forms.
The main forms of kratom are as follows:
Raw Leaves: Like traditional users, modern kratom enthusiasts also have the option of chewing raw leaves. The problem is that raw leaves are not readily available in the market.
Dried Leaves: For those who have access to dried leaves, add the desired amount of grams into a teapot with lemon juice and let it sit for 15 minutes. Add boiling water and brew it for 5 minutes. Use a strainer to pour your tea into a cup and voila, you’re good to go.
Capsules: Capsules are the easiest way of consuming kratom for those who do not want to go through the process of measuring grams. With capsules, the manufacturer provides an accurate prescribed dose that users can follow.
Kratom Powder: The most popular form of kratom is the powdered version. The powder is commonly inhaled or taken orally. Some people mix it in teas or smoothies.
These are the common ways in which kratom is consumed. Some people use advanced extraction processes to attain kratom isolate, which is usually highly concentrated.
Read More: “How to Take Kratom For Maximum Results”
Where to Buy Kratom Leaf?
If you are looking for a place to buy kratom for personal use, there are two main options. You can either purchase your kratom online or you may purchase from a local store.
Locally, vape stores may stock kratom powder, leaves, and even capsules, but they usually charge more for their products.
In the case of online shopping, it is necessary to establish a trustworthy dealer. The beauty of online dealers is that they offer varieties that you may choose from.